What Does Individualised Treatment Mean?
03 Jan 2023
Millions of families around the world struggle with mental health issues every year. According to the National Mental Health Programme (NMHP), in India, "One in four families is likely to have at least one member with a behavioral or mental disorder." Individuals diagnosed with substance misuse or mental health disorder often respond best to personalised treatment that addresses their unique needs and preferences. Samarpan offers individualised treatment and evidence-based methods that ensure clients and their families have the tools they need to heal and achieve long-term recovery.
What Is Individualised Treatment?
Individualised treatment looks beyond the diagnosis to consider the whole person and their needs during recovery. According to the Future Healthcare Journal, clients "want to be treated as individuals whose knowledge, values, preferences, family and social circumstances are acknowledged as being of crucial importance when deciding how to manage their medical care."
Individualised care usually involves the following:
- Family involvement and family support services
- A more personal approach to care
- Treatments that address the clients spiritual, physical, and emotional well-being
- Prevention education and strategies tailored to the client
Instead of only treating symptoms and side effects of the disorder, an individualised treatment plan also considers how the client's family dynamics and home environment may impact their continuing recovery.
The Importance of a Comprehensive Admissions Assessment
A comprehensive admissions assessment and diagnosis is the only way to determine all the factors that might impact a client's recovery. Screening clients and diagnosing their current mental health status ensures they receive the best possible treatment and outcome.
During an assessment, the clinician will ask questions regarding the following:
- Medical history
- Recent moods, thoughts, and behaviours
- Beliefs about treatment and recovery
- Current symptoms and mental health status
- Home environment
- Family dynamics and family medical history
- Goals for recovery and treatment
- How the client attempted to manage their condition
Most people react more positively to a holistic approach that takes into account the whole person instead of a single aspect of their health. Assessments allow us to consider all factors. The details provided will help the clinical team create a personalized care plan. At Samarpan, we collaborate with clients to ensure they can choose how they engage in individualised treatment. We want to ensure clients feel comfortable and safe throughout the treatment process.
How Does Individualised Treatment Ensure Holistic Care?
Tailored treatment programs are created with the client's input, making them more effective and relevant to that individual's needs. Personalized treatment plans ensure holistic care by doing the following:
- Identifying unique factors that might affect recovery
- Focusing on recovery goals specific to the client and their family
- Addressing underlying issues that contributed to the development of the disorder
- Treating the person as a human first and diagnosis second
Programs that don't offer personalized care won't provide the same level of support.
Samarpan Tailors Care Plans to Each Client's Needs
At Samarpan, we understand that connecting with each client personally provides the best outcomes. Our team collaborates with clients by doing the following:
- Helping them understand their treatment options
- Ensuring they make informed decisions
- Allowing them to play a critical role in deciding their own treatment
- Guiding them through the recovery process
- Providing them with resources to support continuing care
Samarpan treats everyone with respect, dignity, and compassion. Our clinical team ensures that clients understand how the available treatments can help them and which ones will provide the most benefits based on their specific circumstances.
Individualised Care Increases the Effectiveness of Treatment
Treatment is most effective when clients have access to care that addresses their current mental state and underlying issues. Tailored treatment programs offer the most effective support and ensure that people feel heard and understood. Personalized care ensures that clients feel safe, understood, and appreciated. Clinicians accomplish this by doing the following:
- Treating clients with compassion, empathy, and ethical care
- Identifying and addressing any underlying trauma
- Involving family throughout the treatment process
- Carefully monitoring the client's changing mental state and adjusting treatment as necessary
Each person responds differently to a treatment. Personalized care plans allow clinicians to adjust their approach as necessary to ensure their clients achieve set recovery goals.
The Benefit of Personalised Continuing Care
Clients often have a more positive treatment experience if their care plan is tailored to their needs. During treatment, facilities like Samarpan take into account any religious, cultural, or family preferences that might effects how well someone responds to treatment. We use the following to provide a genuinely personalized treatment experience:
- Family involvement
- Mental health education
- Essential skills development
- Peer support
- Individual and group therapy
- Case management
- Alumni services
Our continuum of care ensures that all clients have access to personalized care that supports their recovery. Samarpan understands the value of providing clients with autonomy over their mental health treatment. We believe everyone should have access to high-quality, evidence-based care.
Many treatment facilities fail to consider critical factors that impact a person's recovery. At Samarpan, the individualised care we offer ensures that clients have control over their own care and access to essential services like talk therapy and other forms of treatment. Our therapists and psychiatrists work together to provide complementary services for clients recovering from substance misuse and mental health disorders. We encourage clients to collaborate with their care team to determine which approach to treatment is right for them and how best to address their specific circumstances. To learn more about our various programs and the personalized services we offer, call our office today at +91 81809 19090.